Thursday, May 15, 2008

i hereby declare you the best day of 2008 (:

happinestance-

is a word i make up because "as an english major, i reserve the right to"- declared over Menotti's soffiato and bellini. yummyummy menu, and we couldn't decide between sustanence and deserts.
deserts won, of course.

But I should explain. (:
oh, such a happy day.

Today was a goodbye present for me, a this-is-for-you because you-and-i-are-going-away-on-exchange-and-i-want-to-give-you-something-special day, a surprise for rachel and gosh how i. absolutely, adore, and am in love with, get so excited by, surprises.

thank you, thank you, thank you. (: for being so sweet, and taking the time and effort to think of me, and for the planning, and for doing this because you know i love happinestance.

It's funny how images just come, flash themselves in my mind and then leave. i see city hall's mrt floor, like a snapshot- on the left hand side of the photo's the mrt wall, and then near the bottom at the corner's my red bag, then there are my little shoes peeking in in the foreground, and right in the centre are my hands holding my phone, because i am early and so catching up on messages unanswered. And there is a video too: I have met you/him, and we are riding up the escalator, so that this memory is a moving one. and I know something's in the fcuk paper bag, because it isn't held casually, no, it's held with purpose and i know know know that mr fcuk had meaning in life. I try to probe, but you/he looked so proudly enigmatic I leave it, while loving all the anticipation. oh my grammar's messing up, (but then again not as badly as yours did, utterly failing and crashing after we began on the soffiato).

but honestly dear, i didn't believe my ears when i heard you tell the taxi driver "the singapore flyer, please". no, really, i didn't. it wasn't part of my reality.

because, see, the flyer's like, The place for momentous events, f0r family memories, basically for someone special. because it's, well, so high. And it's the only place in singapore like that. So the flyer's for Very Important People In One's Life and I wouldn't have placed myself up there in your list. not that high.
i still can't believe i'm that high up on your list. (:

I think, that thought, means more to me than the ride itself. because, i'm just the silly girl you've taken care of and looked out for in school, and who causes you so much trouble.

Now, how shall I continue telling the rest of today.
I'm not a very good story-teller, am I. My pronouns are swopped about, perspectives switching at whim, alternating between narrative and letter-writing voice. This is terrible. I sound incoherent, am unable to communicate, and miss all the important stuff.

Like quotes.
"resident buildings are like filing systems; the government places you there for easy reference"
"do you think we could ask for more chocolate?"
"mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
"my pee's going to smell of durian!" (this one wasn't mine!)
"i look fat!" and, "no, you don't."
"yeah, if even fat rejects you, you really must be scum." -pause- "all men are scum."

Or bits of wisdom:
-me on myself: i'm stable! i'm stable and constant and self-contained.
-me on guys: all men are scum
.him: when what about me?
.me: -thinks- you're a guy.
- us: and how we agree that the phrase "i'm enjoying bachelorhood" just doesn't cut it when you replace the word with spinster. Of course it doesn't. darn.

But oh, i don't know, right now happenstance doesn't matter, i'm still trying to make myself understand that today really happened, that you bought two tickets to the singapore flyer, that we spoilt our dinner at popeye's, but had a gorgeous time at menotti's anyway, that everything happened because you said it would, for me, because you know i love surprises.

Such a soft, lovely feeling about this goodbye gift. i don't know how to verbalise it, it's like i'm back at the entrance of the singapore flyer going ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh because i really have lost words, words all over the place and flying out of the earholes because the sight of the massive structures have filled everything i've got and everything else has to go, to make space for these beams and foundations, and what they all mean.

haha. Take care in bristol, my dear. And part of why i'm so amazed, is because you do this even though we're just friends. Really close, happy times and nonsense siblings-esque friends, essentially philia and- dude, your future girlfriend's going to be so fortunate, cz if you take such detailed care of me, she's going to be very, very happy. <3

mmm well. the day has got to have a conclusion. here we go-
"she got out of the cab, and they all lived happily ever after."

THE END.

1 comment:

Unheard voice said...

Ahh, sounds like a wonderful day.. Hols should be interspersed with these.. :>