Wednesday, September 13, 2006

taking the time...

If my lit teachers ever read this, this is me taking the time to say a very very big THANK YOU for teaching me what you did. It's wonderful using words like "sacrosanct" and "grotesque" in class, and seeing the teacher getting all excited because they were precisely the words used in the correct context. The nitty grittys between horror and terror, and all that.

I don't regret going to pic, never ever. I've had opportunities I wouldn't have had elsewhere, and a thoroughly enjoyable gp + lit studies by awesome teachers. Your openess and training are things I will always appreciate deep inside me, though unexpressed. I loved your styles of teaching, and how you always brought out the best in me. Never giving up on me, even though I did myself, so many times. We went to school together [miss chua and mr woolhead], participated in qh's and my "guardian of the whiteboard" nonsense [even if you were the hod mrs beh], gave me a lift if evening lectures ended late [mr yeo], and God blessed me with you as my ct [mr koh]. How you guys were my mentors and friends all at once.

To ms tan and mrs wee, two more hods, thanks for being there for me too. ms tan for devoting so much time to my econs... even though up to the end, it was a hopeless cause. The grade I got... is a reflection of your dedication and love for all your students, nothing to do with my ability. For mrs wee, for being the teacher I could talk rubbish with and laugh. Like how we strolled around campus catching up... and all the running stuff.






uncle philip passed away slightly more than a week ago. As with all things I can't handle, I refused to acknowledge. It wasn't until sunday lunch with aunty doreen that cut me. everything we did, from what we ordered to our surroundings... they all had a connection with him. and she would mention each of them, in such a hopeless manner I. I un-numbed myself. her pain reached across my constructed void and grabbed me with both hands- a plea unignorable. What does one say in such circumstances? nothing, I did. the words weren't addressed to me anyway. I'd never known uncle philip very well.



Guess I'll get to know him better in heaven. We have all of eternity to catch up.

Till the rapture, uncle philip.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hoo gothic =)

harpist said...

beautiful tribute. makes me excited to be joining the teaching profession (:

love.

say hi to my classmates neighbour of yours. (:

and i don't know who is uncle philip you know, maybe don't know the name, but i never found out.

(p.s i brought my cam to school, took pictures, and realized I FORGOT TO BRING THE WIRE TO TRANSFER TO MY COM! so no pictures on my blog till the weekends. sobs. am very feddup with myself)

dae said...

i agree with your post about pjc teachers! even though i take nothing lit-related. but all the research skills and presentation skills we learnt are coming in handy. and the sarcasm too. heh. (:

Anonymous said...

and my belief in the worth of my thoughts and opinions. that's one of their many intangible gifts to me.

i love them too. PJC lit teachers are the best. :)



are uncle philip and aunty doreen the couple we(your family and i) had lunch with that sunday after church?

rpd said...

haha. we united arty people rock. ROCKSSS

yeah that would have been them..

Anonymous said...

okay i'm not anonymous but lazy to log in.

i miss uncle phillip. i just miss his smile every sunday morning. and the fact that he's... yeah... well... plus, going for another wake of a close family friend just yesterday reminded me of it.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah. i didn't sign off. =) it's me! you know who. right? i'm in the umpy family.

Anonymous said...

the moment i read the first three words i knew who you were.
i'm not your best friend for nothing. :)