Friday, May 27, 2005

stuff about bgr [again (:]

Different perspectives. Which one will you choose?

Poem1 [Got it from a girlfriend's blog]
"wait for a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot,
who calls you back when you hang up on him,
who will stay awake just to watch you sleep.
wait for the boy who kisses your forehead,
who wants to show you off to the world when you are in your sweats,
who holds your hand in front of his friends,
who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on.
wait for the one who is constantly reminding youof how much he cares about you and how lucky he is to have you.
wait for the one who turns to his friends and says,"... that's her." "

Poem2. For the girls. [from Ann Landers who's an advice columnist: after someone lamented on the unrealistic ideas many girls had of marriage and beseeched her to "level with them"]
"I have leveled with the girls- from Anchorage to Amrillo.
I tell them that all marriages are happy.
It's the living together afterward that's tough.
I tell them that a good marriage is not a gift,
It's an achivement.
That marriage is not for kids. It takes guts and maturity.
It seperates the men from the boys and the women from the girls.
I tell them that marriage is tested daily by the ability to compromise.
Its survival can depend on being smart enough to know what's worth fighting about. Or making an issue of or even mentioning.
Marriage is giving- and more important, it's forgiving.
And it is almost always the wife who must do these things.
Then, as if that were not enough, she must be willing to forget what she forgave.
Often that is the hardewst part.
Oh, I have leveled all right.
If they don't get my message, Buster,
It's because they don't want to get it.
Rose-coloured glasses are never made in bifocals
Because nobody wants to read the small print in dreams."

Poem3. For the boys. ['A Woman's Question' by Lena Lathrop]
"Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing
Ever made by the hand above?
A woman's heart, and a woman's life-
And a woman's wonderful love.

Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing
As a child might ask for a toy?
Demanding what others have died to win,
With the reckless dash of a boy.

You have written my lesson of duty out,
Manlike, you have questioned me.
Now stand at the bars of my woman's soul
Until I shall question thee.

You requre your mutton shall always be hot,
Your socks and your shirt be whole;
I require your heart be true as God's stars
And as pure as His heaven your soul.

You require a cook for your mutton and beef,
I require a far greater thing;
A seamtress you're wanting for socks and shirts-
I look for a man and a king.

A king for the beautiful realm called Home,
And a man that his Maker, God,
Shall look upon as He did on the first
And say: "It is very good."

I am fiar and young, but the rose may fade
Freom this soft young cheek one day;
Will you love me then 'mid the falling leaves,
As you did 'mong the blossoms of May?

Is your heart an ocean so strong and true,
I may launch my all on its tide?
A loving woman finds heaven or hell
On the day she is made a bride.

I require all things that are grand and true,
All things that a man should be;
If you give this all, I would stake my life
To be all you demand of me.

If you cannot be this, a laundress and cook
You can hire and little to pay;
But a woman's hear and a woman's life
Are not to be won that way."

7 comments:

Hannah said...

i choose poem one cos the hopeless, and i mean HOPELESS, romantic in me immediately identifies with those sentiments.

Then the irritating voice of reason steps in and tells me, "Like it or not, Hannah, THIS (poem 2) is reality. Get used to it."

so annoying. like, hello? can u at least ASK me for permission before u intrude on my impractically perfect world, Mr Commonsense?

harpist said...

you know what, i think i'm just a romantic at heart too,i chose to remain in my fantasy world that one day a perfect guy will just appear out of no where, cos at the moment none of them around seem viable.

or more like: guys ought to be shot. like all of them.

i'm feministic. i can't help it.

i chose fantasy over reality, and actually i'm contented. (:

rpd said...

hahaha. i agree with erica. guys ought to be shot. yeahhhh.

and yes. none of them ARE viable. thick-headed, witless blocks. guys.

bah.

mayboo said...

erica. we're friends for a reason.

i'm a closet romantic, i tell you. my head's been so harden that i don't think there's such a thing as the perfect guy or the perfect romantic love.

and yet, i wish there was. and that it'll happen to me. =)

hahaha.

I'M HOMESICK. (random note there.)

harpist said...

i'm such a sap.

one day i imagine that i'll be whisked off on a beautiful honeymoon to with someone to watch the sunset with me, serenade me and bring me breakfast. and make every single thing alright with surprise flowers, notes.

man, i think we're all delusional.

we don't need a husband to slave for. we need a perfect soulmate.

all in favour say ay.

mayboo said...

AYE.

rpd said...

ayeeeee

and. knowing how hopeless guys are, i think we'll need to start praying really hard from now on. like. twice a day or smth. hahaha.