Wednesday, December 29, 2004

times are a changin' darling

"straaaaaaange things are happening to me.."

So warbles woody in toy story. You know the part where he's dumped in the box for the first time in his life? And he doesn't know what's going on, and he's, well, simply put, heart broken because his owner doesn't love him first anymore?

I kind of feel like that. No, I'm not an abandoned toy fighting for my owner's affections but, yeah, strange things are happening to me. Just got off the phone with one of my really good friends [at least, I think we're still really good friends, I'm not sure what to think anymore] and it wasn't a wonderful ladida yakyakyak conversation about shopping and boys [although we did do some of that. a little bit.]

She's overseas now you see, and while talking a lot about nothing I asked her if she'd remain a virgin till marriage. I definitely assumed she'd say yes. I mean, isn't the implications obvious? Sex is meant to be kept one-on-one for a reason. And it isn't just because one can get diseases without the proper precautions.

I assumed wrong.

My friend, the first friend I made in my secondary school, doesn't mind having sex before marriage.

Is it just me, or is having sex before marriage wrong?
I'm very....
I'm feeling pretty bummed out.

She claims that being in singapore, we're kept in a box and college over there has opened her eyes.
But why would thinking that sex before marriage is okay, be "enlightening"? [is my grammer still okay? I'm kind of messed up right now.]

So I said, sex is meant to be kept only after marriage bcz there are certain implications, both physical and emotional. Like, what if yr condom fails and you get pregnant? Asked her what she thought of abortion.
She thinks it's wrong, but to her, it's just a thought and it would depend on circumstances.

Why is abortion being taken so flippantly? It isn't just a thought! It's an issue that involves a life!
I wish I could have said that then. But to what end? She'd just argue some more. Being over there, I guess she thinks that...
I don't know. I won't be presumptious and assume I know what she thinks.
Because what I do know is.. discouraging. She's changing her values. Her character.

That's bad. Right?
Or am I supposed to leave her alone? And, let her be? It's her life... right?

[argh. It sounds so stupid when I write it out. ]

1 comment:

Jack said...

Take a deep breath. Calm your nerves, girl. You sounded pretty flustered there.

I do understand why you got so upset. That's a little like how I felt when my bestest friend in the whole wide world told me that she is bisexual. Then again, our values and beliefs are not just shaped by the society that we live in. Rather, I think that my religion shapes my moral values far more than the general trend in this society.

I don't know if your friend is a Christian, but we are. That is probably why we hold such strong views against issues like abortion and sexual relationships before marriage. Without religion, PLUS staying in a foreign country where everyone has the mentality that "everyone else is doing it anyway" will definitely sway her moral values in a way that is pretty inevitable. Her convictions were probably not strong in the first place.

That is what I think. It probably doesn't make you feel better, but well, we can't expect people to believe that same things we do all of the time. She's living a different life, so yeah. There you go. Uh, am I making things worse?

I think that even if you try to talk her out of what she believes in right now, she'll probably let your comments slide as you're just living in plain old Singapore where everyone knows nuts about the real world. Then again, that is what I think.