Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I don't know why I bothered waking up at all. Sauntered after a fashion fashionably late into a class that had started forty mintues ago, made alfredo [my laptop] wake up and proceeded to internet surf all the way. shao woke up the same time I messaged her asking her if she'd reached yet, and gim yong didn't bother coming at all. Perhaps I'll acually skip next week, if my ex-teacher mommy has been liberated enough to not feel discomfitted that her baby girl prefers the bed to the bus. It'll be like a test of sorts. ah mommy, your baptism of fire looms.

I really miss staying in hall. It's been five weeks now. The first month was lovely, waking up to a breakfast prepared by mommy and seeing both the parents around. I haven't had that since kindergaten, really. And I bet most of you haven't either. Since primary school we get up at the last possible moment [yet the sun is still dark] and someone else bustles while we groggily fight unconsciousness without quite knowing why [looking back, perhaps we should have just chosen the bed to the bus] and allow ourselves to be bustled. So yes, the past month was the first time I woke up and breakfasted and spent time with the parents.

Now the novelty is wearing off. Waking up sevenish everyday is getting harder and I haven't done that for the past two weeks. And the freedom of hall life is something I miss. Not the greater freedom of time to wake and sleep whatever time I choose, but the perhaps more selfish freedom that comes when the choices I make affect only myself. Going for supper at midnight and returning at two in the morning, events that happen daily in hall but inconvenience my parents who are such light sleepers. In any case I'm half-convinced they don't actually sleep properly until their daughter walks through the gates.

sigh. Another 3 hour lesson later, and nothing to look forward to but more of the same. Sunshine has proven itself economical, and I haven't been the same for a long time now.

No comments: