Saturday, February 10, 2007

hesitant, and feeling distinctly uncomfortable. running up to a charging mad woman and attempt to wrap my arms around her while she shrieks a war cry to my face sounds too much like sucide to me not to be discomfited. These people have had their rationality suspended, so slamming bodies and insanity is normal. twist twist and oh look my team mate has just bodily slammed someone onto the ground. and mind you. she's even smaller than I am. turn turn like a carnival horse ride with biazzre skills. civility is slung out of the window with massive force and savgery embraced with whoops and screams. I scream a lot too. what does it take to go into contact mode, so that the instinct to protect one's own body turns a full circle and when you face it again, this instinct has transmorgified; it's unrecognisable. An artist has slashed it; it's bleeding face paint and war marks and it's screaming for blood. One's own body is now nothing more than an instrument to harm, and the value of this construct of flesh is in how willing you are to intertwine your body with that of another's with force, so that the two of you now meshed, jerk in the air and fall rolling as one on the ground. Unwrap yourself off her, and the two of you pat each other in the name of sportmanship. Communication suddenly gets a whole lot harder, with each seeming to lose the ability to form sound sentences. so that. forceful gestures replace speech and truly we are a team of heathens. gesture gesture gesture and she says vehemently 'you're short so use your body to block her gesture gesture and I nod, bemused. Can't help being short. I appear to be the only poor sod who has retained normalacy. I'm abnormal on court.
It's a whole team of mad women out there, two teams of mad women. I tap the ball, and suddenly it's in my possession. Run! and that's what I'm doing, while screams trail behind me like waves following the boat. Another memory- the ball's in my hands, and bouncing it once, I jump forward to shoot



For a splinter of time, my body's in the air and then the next thing I know is that my body's onto two KE7 defenders. Whatever their standard of play is, it remains that these are massive girls, who look more like men than women with their cropped hair and my physique is a child's compared to theirs. For an inifinte moment I am in a vertox as the laws of physics take over and my body recoils backwards. Then a muffled thud, the sound of a body hurled onto the ground. and then that body there, it lies montionless. My body had no power, no control during that one infinite movement, from the time I rebounded off them till it found itself on the ground. I must say it was a fascinating experience though.

no experience, no experience. Movements awkward, so painful to see when th is fluid, is smooth.

Handball's over. The defending champions only made it as far as the semi-finals. and as there are no playoffs for the losers, today's was the final game. I would love to stay and play for next year, but I'm afraid my sources are drying up. This looks to be my last sem in eusoff. It's been good.

No comments: