Thursday, August 17, 2006

A movie titled: Two weeks

Sometimes two weeks drop down unexpectedly, without rhyme or reason, seemingly according to whim and fancy.


It doesn't make sense, these two weeks. Why have they been given to me? Already I'm living them as passively as I can, not making the moves or steps. Why? So that I have less to think about once these two weeks end.


I have so many questions. Why? Why, of all the people in the world, that it is the particular two of us who meet as a result of probability and statistics. You see, you could have met her, or her, or her her her. I could have met your friend first, and then you.
But it was me who lagged behind when the rest went on forward, and it was he who invited you and not him.

So, pray tell, what shall we do? Two weeks before you go back to london. But last night the three of us were holding hands walking down the street. Three children secure in their present, as only children -or the child-like- could be. As though we were connected. But what's the use of a connection when the trial period's just two weeks?
I contemplate writing you off as a player, but then your friends confuse me. It wouldn't be fair to take you as a character you are not, if what your friends testify is true, just so that the parting in two weeks will be less painful.

I won't be able to do my readings until I thrash this out of my head and heart.

Readers, if you are reading this and are most confused, I do apologise. This is a [rare] personal post. But I shall tell anyway. Because it's like a movie.
It's like a movie. Think of a protagonist, all right? Think of someone who's uncannily like me. -wince. So. The protagonist spends nineteen years in sports and studies, and never does stuff like stayovers and clubbing. Bring her to uni in august, let her stay in hall for her first time. Oh, and the hall holds a bash at a club.
It's her first time clubbing, and as she gets down from the bus she looks around and thus lags behind her friends. She hastens, and catches up with one of them. Who happens to be with a friend from outside who's crashing the bash. So she's the first one whom he gets introduced to. And oh guess what. as the three of them walk towards the club entrance they see their friends standing outside the queue. It turns out that all of them forgot their id so they can't go in. Coincidently, it is just the three of them who do have id. So the girl and guy get to know each other better. Finally, when everyone comes in [having faked their ids] everything looks like a club should. People chatting, and then drinking, and then dancing. During dancing, in typical movie fashion, they [honestly] get seperated together from the group and spend most of the night wandering around, having fun. The guy's your usual charmer, coiffed and savvy. She writes him off as a player, and vows not to get hurt again. [because, like all movies, she has had an emotional scar from years ago caused by a similar sweet-talker.] She decides that if she does see him again, she'll just take it as it comes and not read anything into whatever happens. Because all sweet-talkers are egoists who care only about their selves. Besides, as per the movie script, the guy is studying in uk and will go back in two weeks. So the girl decides she'll just enjoy the company of a very fun guy for two weeks. Thus she's cool, doesn't think much when he takes ages to reply, doesn't bother that he doesn't initiate a meeting the immediate day after.

But some things happen when they meet again three days later, the two of them plus a friend of his. And now she's just wondering who he really is. He looks like a player, but there are things about him that are different from the other guys she has met. She sees how he interacts with his friend, what they talk about, and later back in hall the first guy talks more about him and she doesn't know what to think anymore. Look, "decent" was a word that kept coming out of his friend's mouth.
But does it matter? He'll be leaving in two weeks. Everything will end in two weeks.
So what's the use of these two weeks? Why are they here?



Well. This is the story thus far. I honestly don't know why this happened this way, and I also don't know what to do. Which is why, as I said, I'm very passive. sigh. and I'd also just die if anyone from my orientation group read this. My friends, please please delete my blog link from yours, especially if you're in nus. and also? This really is not something I do often, sharing my personal life with you, so readers, please just try and empathise.
It really is like a movie huh? Good girl goes clubbing for the first time, meets a guy and writes him off immediately. After some time she changes her mind, is confused blahblahblah. But then there's a catch. This life is just for two weeks. After that they'll seperate and it'll be as though they never met.

I've never heard of this happening in real life before. -grimace. I think the greatest problem I have with is the time frame. I'm used to thinking of relationships [friendships, peopleships, whatever] as lasting.

This is the end of the post. If it stops arubptly, then that's because this is as far as I have gone down the unknown path. This is real life, this is happening now and I don't know what happens next. Will it be boring? Will yesterday's time together be the last, so that she never hears from him again? Or will more time and energy be invested into this? Will he turn out to be a player after all? How will it turn out? How will it end?

Two weeks.

6 comments:

tianggggg- said...

*stare* *glare* rachel ng hwee teng... you know why i'm staring and glaring at you.

rpd said...

because youre my best friend and urmmm you love me and i love you and urmmm you want to say SEE I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO CLUBBING.

sigh.

Anonymous said...

You know, drama serials ain't purely fantastical imagination, and this sounds like a good one.. That aside, lets just say that you've left out a very important factor in this equation.. Where is the God who created the two of you, the rest of the world, and who willed this to happen? A little faith goes a long way.. No matter what you choose to do, it will be the right thing cos thats what God has willed will happen (pun not intended).. But if it's a course of action you seek, my thought (whatever little it is worth) is this, to reach out with both hands and grasp opportunities, for you never know when someone else might come along and put to rest all your meandering thoughts (i.e. kena koped lah).. Reach out and grab, and if something can happen, let it, for the one who sits in the ivory tower and imagines/reads about life can never compare with the one who is living it..

oatsandapples said...

hey rach,
yummy men should be kept for yourself. but long distance r/s just don't cut it for me. :) enjoy him and let him go and if u two are really meant to be, it'll be - may take a while though, but ur still young. :) let go and let god.

Anonymous said...

How is your hall?
You don't seem to mention much about the people you are living with. Anyone whom you are attracted to?

rpd said...

haha. thanks jon.

and miss chua I MISS YOU! gosh i didn't realise i did at all until i read the words oatsandapples. heh. thanks for being so irrelevent and matter of fact, and yet comforting at the same time. =)

thanks guys