Monday, February 20, 2006

Thought I'd write an entry tonight while waiting for my hair to dry. So it ought to be a shorter post than usual. -dry laugh- to all out there who grouse I write too much. ay, what to do with an [almost] stereotypical arts student. Writes and talks a lot. heh.

Anyhow, today ought to have been a pretty good day by the usual standards... The kids were pretty well-behaved, we had fun during arts and craft... Sounds good right? It was fun setting the topic: Drawing of my teacher. Posing in a thousand silly ways to hear the children laugh. haha. They kept telling me to stand still so they could draw. And being suprised over and over again by the their creativity in plasticine [which I have displayed on the top of the whiteboard.] Yay to the kids.
Too bad it was spoilt by the parents. Boo to them. And so the standards have been raised. [not by me.]

Too well they know that I'm an untrained, inexperienced relief teacher. My errors are "glaring", to quote a certain mr goggle eyes whose-real-name-shall-not-be-revealed. More than one parent has come down personally to make sure their precious child has his worksheet or whatever book. It's my fault that spellings are backlogged, books aren't around. The last sentence, had NOTHING to do with me- for which reason I feel unjustly picked upon. The spelling list was printed late By The School. Like, it came to the students in week 3 instead of week 1. So when I came in, EVERY teacher in the level was giving spelling twice a week until the gap in the weeks was closed after which we resumed the normal once a week spelling. And parents had the audacity to call the VP to accuse me of changing dates whenever I felt like it! This is grossly unfair. The SCHOOL had printed the list late even BEFORE I came in! But it's still my fault. How convenient. Just WHAT motive would I have to swop dates whenever I feel like it? Because I'm lazy and incompetent? That's what you think anyway. Calling me to clarify doesn't work. You have to call the principal and the vice-principal. What, would I have lied if you'd TRIED calling me first? According to you, maybe. I seem to be capable of anything to you guys.
Yes I make mistakes- I've made quite a few in fact. but I do learn from them. I can tell the difference between a bad that I made and something else. I admit to times I've slipped up. You guys just aren't giving me a chance. Listen. Your wonderbabe will survive the [to you] Horrifying Primary TWO Year.

I now know what teachers need. Especially teachers in singapore. Encouragement. Was reading blogs from teachers in the Domminique Republic, in Canada... No one has mentioned such problems. Parents have such power to make or break.

Today's monday. I wonder what the rest of the week will be like.

Short entry over. hur.

4 comments:

harpist said...

You know rach, you seem to live for arts and craft lessons. (:

I think it's good that you are finding joy in at least something in school. I do think the parents are evil, yet they are reacting normally, and they pick on you cos you're a relief teacher. But know that it's not your fault, and i'm sure the Vp spoke up for you, so don't worry about that.

Have a good week ahead!

tianggggg- said...

yes. i agree with erica. your vp would definitely have defended you especially since it wasn't your fault. so don't worry. singaporean parents are like that. being kiasu and all. they expect all to be perfect. it's a type of "disease" in which parents MUST criticise and argue to feel good. yes yes. the "feel good syndrome". the only cure is to argue. but hey! we still love you!!! =) take care.

rpd said...

thanks babes :)

Hannah said...

i can't help it rach. i have to do this.

Miss Ng you are the most beautiful in the WORLD.

=D

you beautiful.