Sunday, July 17, 2005

corinthians

The ancient Greeks gave Love three classifications. There’s Eros, from which comes the word “erotic”. This love is very self-centred, very demanding. It is fulfilled by lust, and characterised by infatuation. I think [but this is just my personal opinion], that many young BGrelationships are the children of Eros.
Then there’s Phileo. It’s also known as brotherly love. (:
Finally comes Agape. It is the ultimate Love. It is perfect.

Paul once wrote a letter to the Corinthians, and this is what he said.

“Love is patient, and is kind.
Love envieth not, and does not boast.
She does not behave herself unseemly, and does not seek her own.
Love is not easily provoked, and thinks no evil.
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but in the truth.
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.”
-1st Corinthians.

Dear readers, I would now like to invite you to do a little test with me. Put your name beside each characteristic of perfect love, Agape. Can we do it?

[your name] is patient.
__________ is kind.
__________ does not envy.
__________ does not boast.
__________ does not behave unseemly.
__________ does not seek his/her own.
__________ is not easily provoked.
__________ thinks no evil.
__________ does not rejoice in iniquity.
__________ rejoices in the truth.
__________ bears all things
__________ believes all things
__________ hopes all things
__________ endures all things.

You know, when I was asked to do that a couple of weeks ago, I found that I couldn’t put my name beside any of the above. It shocked me quite badly. I mean, perfect love is all of this and I couldn’t even achieve one. How loser-ly is that. =Pp

___________________________________________________

I’d write more, but it’s four o’clock now and I must get the comprehension done before I meet the rest to play. I’ll try to write again soon.

Love,
Rachel.

1 comment:

harpist said...

i haven't come here in ages, much link you to my blog. (: really loved reading your posts, they're always so heartfelt and sincere, and i'm not just saying this.

love you, and i think you would make the perfect teacher to all those you want to make a difference in. hang in there, one day we will fulfill our dreams no matter how idealistic and far-fetched they may seem. Hold on to your ideals, for without them you can't get anywhere and you have nothing to fall back on if you fail.

Love you, have a good week!