Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I edited it- A variety of opinions and thoughts.

I am Progressive Girl

Click on the picture below to read more:

'ProgressiveTake the 'What Kind of Girl Are You?' quiz at CookingToHookup.com



___________________________

Alright I'm not too sure if that worked, just in case it doesn't, this is what the mumbojumbo means. :)

I am a Progressive Girl.

Moderation in all things, excess in nothing. -- Epicurus

Imagine that the Girl Next Door moved to the big city. Think of Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. She's America's sweetheart with an urban sensibility. She's a post-Christian spiritualist, a pre-Monica Clintonite, and a dues-paying member of at least one social-change organization like NOW, Planned Parenthood, or the Sierra Club. You won't find her at an Earth First or PETA meeting, though. Those are the Granola Girl's stomping grounds. Progressive Girls want the world to be a better place, but they live out their politics in a moderate, left-of-center way.

If you are going to date a Progressive Girl, the one sin you can commit is to be a chameleon. Molding your opinions to fit hers will lose her respect. One very positive thing you can do is offer her new experiences -- the Progressive Girl is fearless about trying new things. Whether it's pluralism, skydiving, Asian peanut sauce, or this book, the Progressive Girl is always looking for new ideas.

She Might Be a Progressive Girl if:
She drives: a small SUV but really wishes it got better mileage; once she can get a good hybrid, she will.
She can talk for more than ten minutes about: just about anything.
She begins her sentences with: "Susan Sarandon says..."
She'd never: pass up the chance for a new experience.
She owns any of the following: a water filter, a tabletop fountain, an acre of rain forest, a mutt from the pound.

grin. I don't know who susan sarandon is, nor own any of the above but I've taken this quiz a couple of times and given the varying answers but I'm still a Progressive Girl so I guess this must be what it is. haha.

I haven’t failed to realize, dear people, that my posts lately have been full of bgr. But why not? It is an interesting topic. grin.

xiuwen gave me five blank spaces the other day that she plucked from the air to write on with the sound of my breath. [prose: she told me to choose five qualities I’d want in a guy. haha] I categorised them into 2 levels. To be..

Level1: godly.





Level2: humourous, mature, compassionate and responsible/responsive.

3 years ago, I met a guy. mmm let's call him john. We never got officially attached [at my insistence] but we might as well have been for all purposes and intent. You see, I thought that since we weren't "officially" together it meant that everything was still fine.

What rubbish.

My mom told me that I shouldn't get so close with him because the two of us didn't believe in the same things. Me in my infactuated state got upset and wouldn't listen. But, looking back, mommy was just so right. Because he didn't see what was so wrong about getting up close and personal, and I did... um. well I think you can imagine. uh I haven't seen him for a couple of years now. whatever.

Indeed. To have a godly man, a guy who loves God more than I do will mean that he will love me in the best way too. When I say best way it Will be the best because it is what God has said. and needless to say, what God says is best. Get it?

I don't know. I'd want to know what the guy does first. Does he help the blind man stumbling along the street? Does he pick the little girl up and swing her in the air just to hear her laugh? Does he make his mummy laugh? That's where humour and compassion come in. Is he good with the bills, remembering that his parents work to pay for it, and yet treats his friends now and then? Does he know what went on in the Rwanda genocide, and care about the sex slaves in cambodia? You need maturity and responsibility for that. Yeah.


Notice how level one is waaaaaay higher than the rest, yet the rest are vital too. I wouldn’t want to get into a romantic relationship with any guy who doesn’t have all of these qualities because I’ve seen how painful a marriage gone awry can get. I’m not saying I have all these qualities either so. I’m not going to be in a relationship for some time yet. hah.

I can imagine a lot of you writing me off as some prude, like the second aunt you have who never got married. But I’m not like her, I’m lots of fun to be around. grin. It’s just that there’s a lot of heartache when things don’t work out between a couple. I’ve seen it I’ve felt it and I bet you have too. Isn’t it better to build a friendship and invest all the time and energy into other matters? Like family. How much time do we spend with our families? I have lots of girlfriends who love their mummys and papas. I love mine too, and I’m blessed to be able to communicate with them. (:

Having said that, it isn’t easy not to fall in. like. I say like because love is greater than what I dare to presume. One of the things I’m trying to stop is my tendency to view guys as potential boyfriends. It isn’t fair to them and arrgh. Makes me sound ditzy too, doesn’t it? haha. But I’m an honest one, I am. =Pp.

____________________________

and erica's post was so good you guys should read it too!

"Today, she said something: passion comes with a price - a heavy price? perhaps. There needs to be restraint, there needs to be an awareness that a world outside your passion exists. But i just love too many things, geography, harp, piano, design, scrapbooking, talking to people who have changed my life, its hard to know where to start letting go. Giving up would almost mean losing a part of myself, who i am, and i can't bear to do that. I sometimes wonder if i like a subject only because of the teachers, but i constantly reassure myself that even without them i would still puruse this interest in geography.

I loved the way we all sat around talking after watching a video clip about creativity in everyday life, how she addressed us as individuals and appreciated us for what we could give and nothing more. She didn't demand that we all become highly motivated and inspired people who would become world famous, she just wanted us to recognize the talent that lies within all of us. Its a matter of mindset, not ability. (: Take a look around our world, its such a complex and beautiful place, learn to love it, and apply that love to learning, not only geography and academics, but every single thing.

Pursuing life with a passion, having a long-term goal of what you want to do, who you hope to become, and how you hope to influence others. I think she's fufilled it as a teacher perfectly. And i really admire her for that, how she can pick herself up and move on to nie, taking this opportunity, even though that would mean leaving us in the middle of a crucial year. It takes more than guts, but passion, to do what you really love. She'll make a wonderful lecturer at nie, i'm confident of that, inspiring many many others to teach, like she reaffirmed my decision. And she taught me so much about living life, whether as a student or a working adult, with this inner sense of peace knowing that what you're doing is right and is what you've always wanted to do."

Wasn't that beautiful? Passion. A grand and marvellous word. I used to be full of it. Passion! The thing that gets you through, the adrenaline that pumps through the veins and keeps one going at 2 in the morning. Whatever your passion is...

I want to do good.. I want to travel around the world and teach little children. I love kids. I enjoy teenagers. And old people are just so lovely. How? Will anyone travel with me? (:

_______________________

I just returned from melaca yesterday... while I'm tired I want to share what I learnt because I don't think I'll be online for the rest of the week [and the unedited post wasn't up to standard =Pp]. The speaker looked like a plump einstein. grin. well he spoke on righteousness...

Did you know that we need God to make us righteous? As in, we may try by ourselves but in the end, it isn't enough. Well not for me anyway. I'm a hopeless person. That's kind of why I chose God... I can't do it on my own. In fact, it isn't us but the God that fulfils the righteousness that is required. As in, all we have to do is to acknowledge our helplessness in trying to live a pure life and ask- and believe- that God [can] do it. And. Did you know that what we are in our minds is what we Are?

Alright. Just one paragraph but I think that launching into a thesis of "the righteouness and purity of God" is not something I can handle as yet.

It was espcially meaningful to me because sometimes, I don't understand God and I do occasionally wonder why I'm a christian. I mean, God? A three-in-one God [as it were]? One Father one Son and one uhhh spirit? And how can heaven exist?

And yet. I can't Not believe. I have before decided that I didn't care about God... and the gnawing emptiness killed me inside. Do you guys ever wonder about life? What's the meaning of it anyway? If we are here just to die, why not live it hedonistically? I would. I would experiment with sex, alcohol, lesbianism... whatever. I would do a boob job [haha] and have a wardrobe filled with tubes and minis. Why bother dressing decently? Let the guy lust about me. Sheesh, I'd even harbour resentment against my parents for not being rich enough to give me whatever I want.

But at what cost?

I see my friends questioning life and despair about it. I want so much to tell them that there is more to life... that there's a God who is the meaning to life and that one day, He will demand accountability. How did we live our lives? Why wasn't it up to His standard? Why didn't we ask Him for help? There will be a reckoning.

3 comments:

Jack said...

i got the progressive girl too.. haha dont think it's accurate tho. anyway, I'LL SEE YOU DURING THE BBQ!!!! (:

rpd said...

you're coming? alright!! ((:

harpist said...

wow. i'm flattered. (: